AFTER SETTLER VIOLENCE AGAINST THEM, THE POLICE BAN TWO YOUTHS FROM SILWAN FOR 3 DAYS
June 10, 2013

Mohammad Ghaith (age 23) and Ali Qirsh (age 21) were released on Monday by the Israeli police, on the condition that they cannot enter Silwan for three days, neither to go home nor to go to work. Mohammad explained that he and his friend were going to the police station on Salah Al Din Street to submit a complaint against a worker from the Israeli Antiquities Authority who had threatened to stab him with a sharp tool, and to complain about an Israeli settler who was involved. However, after submitting their complaint they were told that the worker in question had already filed a complaint against them, accusing them of obstructing him in his work and claiming that Mohammad had tried to hit him with a piece of iron. He said that the settler had stopped her car behind Qirsh’s  car in order to prevent him from moving, which caused a traffic jam on the street. Ghaith explained that the Israeli worker started hitting and pushing him before a number of other workers and young men from the neighbourhood joined, in order to stop the worker from stabbing him, adding that the worker was carrying a pack of large blades. Ghaith went on to say that the police had set him and Qirsh free on the condition that they do not enter Silwan for 3 days and that they pay 3000 shekels in case they do not commit to the release conditions.