July monthly report: Escalation at Al-Aqsa…arresting 130 Jerusalemites and demolishing 11 establishments
August 3, 2015

Wadi Hilweh Information Center monitored that Israeli violations against Jerusalemites during the month of July, and the occupation authorities’ assaults continued against the citizens and their properties. The center said in a statement: “Al-Aqsa Mosque was subject to an unprecedented escalation in July after being quiet since the beginning of the current year. Al-Aqsa witnessed closures, break-ins and assaults against Marabouts and worshippers by the occupation forces and settlers. Jerusalemites (men, women, children and the elderly) were subject to assaults during July and more than 130 Jerusalemites were arrested where half of them were children and women. Commercial and residential establishments were also demolished in July. Al-Aqsa Mosque…raids, clashes and isolations The center said in its monthly report: “It is the first time since November 2014 that the occupation forces raid Al-Aqsa Mosque and prevent men under the age of 50 from entering and performing the Friday Noon Prayer.” The center also said: “The Mosque turned into a field battle on Sunday 26/07/2015 between the occupation forces and the angry young men after the “alleged Temple” groups called to break –into Al-Aqsa on the anniversary of “Destruction of the Temple”. The forces prevented young men from performing the Dawn Prayer and completely closed it for 3 hours (during the settlers’ break-ins). The center added: “The occupation forces also raided Al-Qibli Mosque and went on top of its roof and the museum’s roof. The forces attacked the worshippers with sound grenades and rubber bullets and also attacked all worshippers that were present in Al-Aqsa courtyards with no exceptions. They also damaged some of the facilities and threw the Holy Quran on the ground and assaulted the employees of the Islamic Awqaf department and injured 19 of them with bruises and fractures. Meanwhile, the forces allowed the settlers to break-into Al-Aqsa; note that the forces broke into Al-Aqsa through Hutta, Dung and Al-Silsileh Gates while the settlers broke-in through Dung Gate that was taken-over by the Israeli authorities since the occupation of Jerusalem in 1967. The violation of the right to worship did not stop at breaking into Al-Aqsa and closing it, but the forces brutally assaulted the Marabouts near Al-Silsileh Gate and provided the settlers with full protection who also managed to provoke the Muslims’ feelings by breaking into Al-Aqsa and insulting the Prophet Mohammad PBUH; note that the Israeli Minister of Agriculture Uri Ariel was among the settlers who broke into the Mosque. During the month of July, a female settler insulted the Prophet Mohammad PBUH and described him as a “pig” and two days later another settler described the Prophet with the same insult immediately after leaving Al-Aqsa. Also, one female settler attempted to break into Al-Aqsa Mosque in her wedding gown to bless her marriage inside Al-Aqsa Mosque. After the police prevented her, she changed her gown into regular clothes and broke into Al-Aqsa with a group of settlers who attempted to practice their religious rituals but were confronted by Al-Aqsa guards; the police was forced to escort them outside Al-Aqsa courtyards. It is noteworthy that nearly 930 settlers broke into Al-Aqsa Mosque in the month of July. Wadi Hilweh Information Center also monitored the isolation of 28 citizens (including 6 females, one girl and three children) from Al-Aqsa Mosque for periods that varied between 15 days and six months. Arresting 130 Jerusalemites including 54 minors The center also monitored the arrest of 130 Jerusalemites including 54 minors, 9 women and one little girl. The center explained that four of the minors arrested were under the age of responsibility (12 years) where the youngest was the 8-year old Abdullah Emad Dkeidek who was arrested from in front of his house in the neighborhood of Ras Al-Amoud in Silwan, 10-year old Samer Sarhan from Silwan, 11-year old Mohammad Basem Hijazi from the Old City of Jerusalem and the 12-year old Mohammad Samer Sarhan from Silwan. The arrests mostly occurred in the Old City of Jerusalem and Silwan (43 arrests each), the village of Esawyeh (20), Al-Tur, Jabal Al-Mukabber, Wad Al-Joz and Shu’fat refugee camp; note that 27 Jerusalemites were arrested from Al-Aqsa gate and courtyards. Demolishing 11 commercial and residential establishments in Jerusalem The Jerusalem municipality demolished 8 commercial and residential establishments in Jerusalem and Bet El municipality demolished three others. The demolition took place in village of Jabal Al-Mukabber (family of Martyr Odai Abu Jamal), Silwan and Beit Hanina. Wadi Hilweh Information Center explained that the occupation authorities closed the house of the Martyr Odai Abu Jamal who passed away last November with cement and iron plates and displace six of his family members (father, mother, sister and three brothers). The house consisted of 5 rooms and their facilities with a total area of 300 square meters that was established in 1936; note that the forces executed the order of “Internal Security Commander” to close the house of the Martyr Abu Jamal in the month of Ramadan. The forces also demolished the tent that was put up in the courtyard as a shelter for Abu Jamal family. At the end of July, the occupation municipality demolished two commercial stores and one residential apartment owned by Khalil Abbasi, and two residential rooms and two storages owned by Eyad Abbasi in Silwan. The municipality of Bet El demolished a wedding hall with five rooms and six restrooms along with a press, carpentry and an area used for selling construction equipment in the neighborhood of Beit Hanina owned by Akram Abu Shalbak and a group of tenants. The occupation municipality distributed administrative demolition orders in Silwan and Jabal Al-Mukabber. Settlers’ assaults against Jerusalemites The center explained in its report that settlers’ assaults against Jerusalemites escalated in the month of July and the center monitored five of those assaults. Settlers assaulted the45-year old Firas Mujahded, 37-year old Mohammad Mujahded and the 28-year old Hasan Julani with sticks and rocks while they were walking in Al-Musrara Street and the forces arrested two of the three young men while the third (Firas) was transferred to the hospital and he was injured with several bruises. During July, settlers also attacked Jerusalemites’ cars in Street number 1. Al-Masri family was among the Jerusalemites attacked and the 30-year old Sabreen Al-Masri suffered a miscarriage due to the attack; note that she was two months pregnant. The 38-year old Mohammad Hussam Barakat (driver of an Israeli bus) was injured with wounds in his face after two settlers sprayed him with pepper gas. The 85-year old Sarah Nabali “Um Walid” was also injured with bruises after being assaulted by four settlers while passing near the settlement of Maale Zetim in the neighborhood of Ras Al-Amoud in Silwan. One settler also ran-over a Jerusalemite while performing the Friday Noon Payer in the neighborhood of Ras Al-Amoud in Silwan. Occupation forces’ assaults against Jerusalemites The center added that the occupation forces continued their assaults against Jerusalemites during the month of July. The 56-year old Jerusalemite Nafez Dmeiri lost sight in his right eye after he was hit with a rubber bullet inside a grocery store in Shu’fat refugee camp after the forces raided the camp to arrest one young man. The forces also assaulted the 15-year old Abdel Karim Aziz Haddad and severely beat him during the arrest and while he was detained in Al-Silsileh Gate police station in the Old City of Jerusalem and injured him with internal bleeding. The forces also assaulted Idris family in the neighborhood of Al-Thori in Silwan (men, women, young men and old people) and severely beat him and sprayed them with peppers gas after raiding their houses to execute warrants of arrest. In July, the forces also raided the houses of the Martyrs Mutaz Hijazi, Mohammad Ja’abees, Odai and Ghassan Abu Jamal and took pictures of the houses and their surroundings, and also raided Ein Al-Lozeh Mosque in Silwan and broke the roof’s door. The guards of Israeli private companies also continued their assaults against Jerusalemites and the guards of “Mammilla” Mall assaulted Mohammad Aweidah and Muath Shyoukhi and severely beat them; Aweidah suffered fractures in his leg. The light rail’s guards also assaulted one young man and one child in Shu’fat after checking their IDs. During July, the local Planning and Building Committee in the occupation municipality ratified a new path for the light rail that that splits the North of the city to the South and connects between the settlement of Gilo in the south and Mount Scopus north of Jerusalem, it also passes through settlement neighborhoods in occupied Jerusalem with a length of 19.6 Km. The commission also ratified a sub route with a length of 3km that reaches to the Industrial area the settlement of “Talpiot”, with the presence of a study to add another sub route that reaches Al-Malha settlement located in south west Jerusalem. The plan was given to the District Committee for approval and to end this project in the year 2021.