January 2019…Unprecedented escalation at Al-Aqsa Mosque…102 arrests…demolishing 7 facilities
February 5, 2019

Wadi Hilweh Information Center issued its monthly report for the month of January 2019, in which it documented violations by the Israeli occupation authorities against the Palestinian population in Jerusalem.

The center confirmed in its monthly report that the Israeli occupation authorities and settlers escalated violations in Al-Aqsa Mosque, and continued the daily arrests and raiding of the villages and neighborhoods in Jerusalem as well as the policy of demolishing houses.

Two Palestinian Martyrs

On January 30, the 16-year-old Samah Zuhair Mubarak was shot dead by the Israeli occupation forces at Z'ayem checkpoint east of Jerusalem, under the pretext of "attempting to carry out a stabbing attack."

On January 26, Riyad Mohammed Shamasneh was shot dead by the Israeli occupation forces in the area of Damascus Gate in ​​Jerusalem after opening fire at his vehicle under the pretext of "posing a threat to the forces present in the area."

The center explained that the occupation authorities continue to detain the bodies of three martyrs in the refrigerators: the body of Martyr Mesbah Abu Sbeih since October 2016, the body of Martyr Fadi Qunbar since January 2017, and the body of Martyr Aziz Aweisat since May 2018.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

The occupation authorities escalated their targeting of Al-Aqsa Mosque in January, where the mosque witnessed several serious developments in the occupation’s policy against it, in addition to the continued incursions by ministers and members of the Knesset. Wadi Hilweh Information Center monitored the most prominent violations in Al-Aqsa Mosque:

14/1/2019The occupation forces besieged the Dome of the Rock for about 6 hours, and imposed a military cordon around it after the mosque guards confronted a police officer who tried to storm the dome wearing the hat "symbol of Jewish rituals". During the closure and siege of the Dome of the Rock, the forces attacked the Jerusalemites protesting at the gates.

16/1/2019 The occupation authorities set up high scaffolding to carry out restoration work in the western wall on the side of the Islamic Museum, the wall of Al Aqsa Mosque, after the fall of a stone due to excavation work carried out by the occupation authorities in place, while preventing the Islamic Awqaf Department to maintain the walls of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

17/1/2019 Fifteen individuals of the occupation officers and intelligence stormed Al-Marwani chapel and Al-Qibali Mosque and the Dome of the Rock by force.

24/1/2019The "Jerusalem District Police Commander" Yoram Helifi and war veterans who occupied Al-Aqsa in 1967, stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque and conducted a tour into its courtyards.

The “alleged temple” groups continued their attacks on Al-Aqsa Mosque throughout the week, except on Fridays and Saturdays, through Dung Gate, which has been controlled by the occupation authorities since the occupation of the city. In January, 1918 settlers and Jewish students stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The center added that among the intruders last month werethe Minister of Agriculture Uri Ariel (twice), and member of the ultra-Orthodox Knesset Yehuda Glick who broke into Al-Aqsa at the end of the month to bless a wedding, andmember of Knesset Sherine Haskel.

The occupation authorities issued in January 17 isolation and deportation decisions against Palestinians. Fourteen were banned from entering Al-Aqsa, one was deported from the Old City of Jerusalem and two young men were deported from the city of Jerusalem. The durations of the decisions varied between one week and 6 months.


The occupation authorities continued their arrest campaigns in the city of Jerusalem. Wadi Hilweh Information Center monitored 102 cases of arrests last January, including 24 minors, 8 females including a girl and one child less than the age of responsibility (less than 12 years old).

The geographical distribution of the arrests was as follows: 42 arrests from Silwan, 11 from Esawyeh, 14 from Shu'fat refugee camp, Hizma and Anata, 5 from Jabal Al-Mukabber, 3 from Al-Tur, 2 from Sur Baher, 22 from Al-Aqsa Mosque and the Old City, one from each of Al-Sowaneh, Beit Safafa and Beit Hanina.

The center said that among the detainees was a boy from Shu'fat refugee camp who was seriously wounded after being shot by Musta’ribeen individuals (undercover police). He was arrested immediately after being transferred to hospital for treatment. Also, 5 guards of Al-Aqsa Mosque were among the detainees.


The occupation authorities continued to demolish houses in Jerusalem under the pretext of building without a permit at a time when the authorities impose impossible conditions and large amounts of money to obtain a permit,which could last for several years.

The information center monitored the demolition of 7 facilities last month in the city of Jerusalem (4 self-demolished by their owners in order to avoid payment of fines and 3 demolished by the occupation’s bulldozers). They were as follows: 4 houses, a room in a house, a building consisting of apartments and commercial shops, and a commercial facility.

The geographical distribution was as follows: 4 in the village of Silwan, a facility in Qalandia, a facility in Wadi Al-Joz, and a facility in the village of Esawyeh.

A decision to vacate a house for settlers

The “Israeli Action and Enforcement Department”gave Sabbagh family a notice to evacuate its building in Karam Al-Ja'ouni in Sheikh Jarrah, where 35 people, including six children, live in the building.

Preventing an activity

The occupation authorities banned a celebration entitled "Fifty years of excellence and development on the land of Jerusalem" for Al-Maqased charity hospital on the occasion of the golden jubilee of its establishment. The forces stormed the venue of the event and took out the people by force and assaulted some of them by beating and pushing.