November 2019: A martyr shot by the occupation forces…closing educational and media institutions and a mosque ... dozens of arrests
December 3, 2019

 

Wadi Hilweh Information Center issued its monthly report for November 2019 in which it monitored the Israeli violations in the city of Jerusalem.

Wadi Hilweh Information Center said that the Israeli occupation authorities continued their violations during the past month in the city of Jerusalem, where they launched a campaign to close educational and media centers under the pretext of sponsoring and belonging to the Palestinian Authority, and continued to arrest Jerusalemites and demolish houses, not to mention that daily incursions into Al-Aqsa Mosque.

A Martyr

On the 17th of last month, the Israeli occupation forces opened fire on Fares Abu Nab, a resident of Silwan, near the tunnel checkpoint, south of Jerusalem, under the pretext of suspicion of the vehicle. It was later revealed that Abu Nab’s vehicle was not shot at and had no signs of bullets, and he was directly targeted and shot. The Israeli authorities handed over the body of the young man two days after his martyrdom.

Closure of the offices of the Directorate of Education and Palestine Television

Late last month, the Israeli authorities closed the office of the Directorate of Education, the Palestine TV office and Al-Rasasi Mosque in Jerusalem, by a decision of the Minister of Internal Security for six months.

The Information Center explained that the Israeli occupation forces along with intelligence personnel stormed the office of the Directorate of Education in the Old City of Jerusalem in conjunction with the storming of the Palestine TV office in the neighborhood of Al-Sowaneh, east of the Old City, and closed them under the pretext of "carrying out activities for the Palestinian Authority or on its behalf or under its sponsorship within the state of Israel without a permit."

The occupation intelligence confiscated a set of documents and financial and administrative files from the office of the Directorate of Jerusalem, and computers from the office of "Palestine TV".

The center added that the Israeli Intelligence also stormed the Arab Health Center in the area of Herods Gate in Jerusalem, arrested its director and questioned him about "whether the center has a relationship with the Palestinian Authority" and confiscated some administrative and financial files.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

During the month of November, hundreds of settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque, during the settlers’ incursions periods which take place on a daily basis, except on Fridays and Saturdays, through Dung Gate, which has been controlled by the occupation authorities since the occupation of Jerusalem.

In the past month, 2,287 Jewish settlers and studentsstormedAl-Aqsa Mosque.

The occupation authorities banned the deputy director of the Islamic Awqaf Department in Jerusalem, Sheikh Najeh Bkeirat, from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque for three months; this is the fourth order issued this year against Sheikh Najeh which bans him from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque."

Arrests

The Israeli occupation forces continued executing arrests in Jerusalem, and the Information Center monitored 137 arrests in the city, including 49 minors, two children under the age of responsibility and three females.

Wadi Hilweh Information Center said that among the detainees in November were the Jerusalem Governor Adnan Ghaith, Minister of Jerusalem Fadi Al-Hidmi and Director of Education Mr. Samir Jibreel.

Last month, the arrests mainly took place in the village of Issawiya, followed by Silwan.

The center noted that among the arrests was a student arrested from inside his school in the village of Issawiya at the beginning of last month, after the occupation forces stormed the Issawiya Boys School, and assaulted its director, a guard and some students and fired sound grenades towards them.

Also, the center added that the Israeli occupation forces continue the "assault and abuse" campaign in Issawiya village, which started last June by daily raids on the village, establishing checkpoints at its entrances and daily presence in the streets, storming houses and searching them and arresting some of the residents, harassing merchants by storming their shops, being stationed at their doors gates and imposing various taxes. The municipal staff also continued to distribute demolition orders and stop construction in the village.

Demolition

The Israeli municipality escalated the demolition of facilities in the city of Jerusalem, and the center monitored the demolition of 10 establishments including five facilities that wee self-demolished by their owners to avoid paying fines.

The center added that 8 houses were demolished in Jabal Al-Mukabber, the industrial zone north of Jerusalem, Beit Hanina and Silwan.

The center also noted that among the demolished houses in Jabal Al-Mukabber, a house belonging to the Khalayleh family that has been in existence for 130 years. The family obtained a permit to renovate it from the occupation municipality, but the Ministry of Interior issued a decision to demolish and the occupation court ratifies the decision.

Suppressing activities

The Israeli occupation authorities continued to suppress events in Jerusalem, where they suppressed a solidarity sit-in with prisoners on hunger strikers held in Salah El-Din Street, as well as a sit-in held by the students of the Hebrew University in support of the people of Gaza Strip, which was held at the entrance of the university in the city.