January 2020...Incursions into Al-Aqsa Mosque…expulsion orders from Al-Aqsa….and wide arrest campaigns
February 5, 2020

Wadi Hilweh Information Center (WHIC) confirmed in its monthly report - for the month of January 2020- that the occupation authorities intensified the storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque, as well as the policy of expelling Palestinians from the mosque, and the daily arrests and demolitions in the city of Jerusalem. Settlers also burned a mosque in the village of Sharafat southwest of Jerusalem.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

The Council of Endowments and Islamic Affairs, in a statement last month, stated that the occupation authorities had filed a lawsuit calling for an order to be issued to renew the closing of Bab Al-Rahma chapel inside Al-Aqsa Mosque.

WHIC explained that the occupation forces, with their various elements "officers, intelligence, special forces, police and borderspolice," stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque, 6 times during the month of January, during which they assaulted the worshipers and executed arrests from its courtyards.

2-1-2020 The occupation forces stormed the vicinity of Bab Al-Rahma chapel between the Evening and Night prayers, assaulted the worshipers (men and women) with pepper gas and chased them in the courtyard of the chapel and surrounded it while the worshipers were inside it. The forces then arrested 3 young men, and handedinvestigation summonses to others.

7-1-2020 The occupation forces attacked the worshipers twice. First was against the worshipers located at the upper yard of the Bab Al-Rahma chapel, coinciding with the settlers ’incursions into Al-Aqsa Mosque, and the forces then arrested 4 men and a woman.

On the same day, after the Night prayer, the forces chased a young man while he was walking in the corridor of Bab Al-Rahma chapel, which leads to Lions Gate, and beat him, and then the forces chased dozens of worshipers as they leaving Al-Aqsa through Hutta and Lions gates, and randomly assaulted them and executed random arrests. One girl, a woman and 5 young men were arrested as the forces forced worshipers out of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

On Fridays ... The occupation forces also stormed Al-Aqsa for three consecutive Fridays (17th, 24th and 31st) after the end of the Dawn prayer, and assaulted the worshipers with beating and rubber bullets and evacuated the courtyards by force. They also chased the worshipers to Hutta Gate while they were exiting the mosque and assaulted them with beating and sound grenades to evacuate the area. They also prevented the distribution of hot drinks and light food to the worshipers, and issued violations for every person who volunteered to distribute it. Municipal employees confiscated the food and emptied the drinks.

29-1-2020The Israeli occupation forces stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque, closed it for about an hour, and prevented entry or exit, under the pretext of arresting two youths from its courtyards that had a "knife" in their possession.

Expulsion orders

The occupation authorities escalated the issuance of expulsion and deportation orders from Al-Aqsa Mosque, the Old City of Jerusalem and Jerusalem for varying periods between "two days and 6 months".

WHIC monitored 104 orders, mostly from Al-Aqsa, then the Old City, and then Jerusalem as a whole.

Among those who received expulsion orders from Al-Aqsa was the head of the Supreme Islamic Commission, Sheikh Ekrema Sabri, who was expelled for one week, and then received another decision to expel him for a period of 4 months.

The center stated in its monthly report that during the past month the occupation authorities issued the deportation decisions for a period of one week / two weeks, followed by administrative deportation orders for months.

Burning a Mosque

In a dangerous escalation, settlers set fire to Al-Badryeen Mosque, in the village of Sharafat southwest of Jerusalem, and wrote the slogan "You destroyed for the Jews, we will destroy for the enemies" on one of its walls.

The village mayor, Ismail Awad, was able to extinguish the fire that he discovered as soon as the mosque was opened before the Dawn prayers on Friday 24/1/2020. The settlers had poured the burning materials onto the carpet in lines and put a gallon of the burning materials in the middle of the mosque.

The fire came on the pulpit and carpets, the Koran and a book of the Sunnah of the Prophet and the microphone of the mosque.


The occupation municipality continued to demolish homes in the city of Jerusalem, under the pretext of "not licensing", at a time when it imposes impossible conditions and large amounts of money to obtain a license that may take years to be issued.

WHIC monitored the demolition of 16 facilities, of which 11 were self-demolished by their owners. Most of the demolitions took place in the village of Jabal Al-Mukabber.


The center monitored 245 arrests from the city of Jerusalem in January, including 53 minors and 14 women.

The center clarified that the arrests were mainly executed in l-Aqsa Mosque, its roads, and its gates as 78 people were arrested, followed by the village of Issawiya (63), Old City of Jerusalem (41), in addition to arrests from the towns, villages, and neighborhoods of the city of Jerusalem.

Eviction orders

The occupation courts issued 3 eviction orders to residential property in the neighborhoods of Batn Al-Hawa and Wadi Hilweh in Silwan, all in favor of Ateret Cohanim and Elad settlement associations.