Day 212: Jerusalem during “Al-Aqsa Flood” Operation
May 5, 2024

On the 212th day of "Al-Aqsa Flood Operation", the forces arrested a girl on the pretext of “possession of a knife.” The forces raided the location of the Al Jazeera English crew in the Ambassador Hotel in Jerusalem, while raids continued into towns and neighborhoods in the city of Jerusalem.

A girl was arrested and the gates of Al-Aqsa were closed

On Sunday morning, the forces arrested a 17-year-old girl after stopping her at the Al-Majles Gate - one of the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque - and took her to the “Al-Qishla” police station in the Old City of Jerusalem.

The police said in a statement that they arrested the girl on the pretext of “possession of a knife,” which was found after she was stopped and searched.

During the arrest of the girl, the forces suddenly closed all the gates of Al-Aqsa and prevented entry into it. They also deployed their forces at the gates of the Old City and prevented entry into it. The closure and prevention continued for about half an hour.

Decision to close Al Jazeera

Joint crews from the Israeli Ministry of Communications, the police, and intelligence stormed, in the afternoon hours, the Ambassador Hotel in the Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in Jerusalem, and raided a room for the Al Jazeera crew. After searching and examining the equipment and contents of the room, they confiscated the existing equipment, then posted a ban on the door of the room.

In the afternoon hours, the occupation government unanimously approved, in its weekly session, the draft law “to close Al Jazeera,” based on the law “to prevent a foreign broadcasting organization from harming the security of the state,” permission was given to the Minister of Communications to issue, for a period of 45 days, a decision to stop broadcasting Al Jazeera in Arabic and English, to close Al Jazeera’s existing offices, seize equipment used by Al Jazeera to broadcast content, and restrict access to their website. The Minister of Communications, Shlomo Karei, signed the orders immediately after voting and ratification.

Al Jazeera submitted a petition to the Supreme Court of Justice against the closure decision.

Incursions and raids

The forces stormed the village of Issawiya at dawn and Sunday morning, arrested two young men, set up checkpoints in the village's streets, and wiped the national slogans off the walls.

In the morning, the forces stormed the Ras al-Amoud neighborhood and homes in the Batn al-Hawa neighborhood in Silwan.

In the evening hours, a large force stormed the Wadi Hilweh neighborhood in the town, closed the main street, and searched the neighborhood’s alleys. Suddenly before midnight, the forces simultaneously stormed the neighborhoods of Ein al-Lozeh, Al-Sweih, and Wadi al-Rababeh, and set up checkpoints in the streets.

The forces arrested the boy Yamen Tayeh from the town of Silwan.

Arrest and travel-ban

On the other hand, the Jerusalemite Khaled Shweiki turned himself in to the Ramla prison administration, after the decision to imprison him for 12 months.

Shweiki was arrested in 2021 in connection with the events in Al-Aqsa Mosque, then he was released on conditions. Over the past years, sessions and deliberations continued until a prison sentence was issued against him, and today he turned himself in to prison.

Meanwhile, the occupation authorities summoned the freed prisoner, Yaqoub Abu Asab, for investigation, and handed him a decision banning him from traveling abroad for a period of 6 months.

For the sixth year in a row, Abu Asab is banned from traveling, and several decisions are issued against him, most notably his expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Settlers attack

The young Jerusalemite, Adam Majid Al-Risheq, suffered bruises and wounds after being assaulted by settlers in the Old City of Jerusalem.