Sentencing two young men and extending the arrest of four Jerusalemites and releasing five others
March 24, 2014

The District court judge sentenced on Monday two Jerusalemite young men from Silwan and Shu’fat refugee camp. Sentencing Khaled Shweiki Wadi Hilweh Information Center was informed that the District judge sentenced 34-year old Khaled Shweiki for 30 months of actual imprisonment and a suspended probation of 10 months; note that he was arrested at the end of February 2013 after the Israeli forces raided his house in Silwan and he was subjected to harsh interrogation in the cells of Al-Maskobyeh on charges of “making and throwing bombs”. Sentencing Ishaq Ghateet In a related matter, Al-Dameer organization lawyer, Mohammad Mahmoud, said that the District judge sentenced 19-year old Ishaq Ghateet from Shu’fat refugee camp for 21 months of actual imprisonment and a suspended probation of 9 months for 2 years on charges on throwing stones and Molotov cocktails. Extending the arrest of four Jerusalemites from Esawyeh The Magistrate court judge extended on Monday the arrest of four Jerusalemites from Esawyeh. Mohammad Mahmoud said that the judge extended the arrest of Tamer Atef Obeid and Louai Sarandah until Tuesday, and Mohammad Shafiq Obeid and Mohammad Jom’a Obeid until Wednesday on charges of throwing stones; note that they were arrested on Monday early morning after raiding their houses in the village of Esawyeh. Conditional releases The Magistrate judge released Naser Qos, head of Prisoner’s Club in Jerusalem, and Ala’ Haddad, member of the Jerusalemites detainees and prisoners families committee, and Ahmad Al-Ghoul, director of Fateh Youth Movement in Jerusalem and Odai Sub Laban with a financial bail of 1000 NIS and a third-party bail of 5000 NIS and on condition of isolating them from Damascus Gate for 60 days and only allowing them to pass by in the area. Releasing Dia’ Abbasi The police of Salah Eddin Street released 23-year old Dia’ Yousef Abbasi after detaining him for several hours and assaulting him using pepper spray in addition to beating him. Abbasi’s brother said that a force from the borders police arrested Dia’ from Herod’s Gate while he was heading home to Silwan. They assaulted him and sprayed him with pepper gas for no reason and then took him to Salah Eddin Street police station where he was detained from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. under the pretext of insulting a policeman; he was then released with a 500-NIS bail. Dia’ suffered bruises and swelling in his limbs in addition to burns in his eyes due to the assault he was exposed to.