July 2016: One Martyr and continuing to detain the bodies of 6 Jerusalemite Martyrs…escalation at Al-Aqsa Mosque…189 arrests…and the demolition of 25 establishments
August 2, 2016

Wadi Hilweh Information Center issued its monthly report in which it monitored the Israeli violations in the city of Jerusalem during July 2016 as the Israeli authorities carried out series of arrests against Jerusalemites in the city in addition to the demolition of several commercial and residential establishments as well as graves under the pretext of “building without a permit”.

The center explained in its monthly report that that occupation soldiers murdered a Jerusalemite young man with cold blood in the village of Al-Ram while the occupation authorities continue to detain the bodies of 6 Jerusalemite Martyrs. Nearly 931 Israelis broke into Al-Aqsa Mosque in July while 30 Jerusalemites were isolated from it and 189 people were arrested. In July, 25 establishments were also demolished.


The center explained that 22-year old Anwar Falah Salaymeh was shot by the occupation forces on the 13th of July while driving his vehicle in the village of Al-Ram along with two of his friends; Fares Risheq and Mohammad Nassar. The Israeli army rapidly issued a statement claiming that the occupation forces along with borders control individuals busted a metal workshop for manufacturing weapons in Al-Ram. During the operation, the borders control individuals monitored a speeding vehicle heading towards them and felt they were at risk and opened fire which led to the Martyrdom of one passenger and the injury of another who was transferred for treatment while the third was arrested and transferred for interrogation. The Martyr’s friends falsified the occupation’s story and explained they were heading to a nearby bakery (Ajloni) to buy bread but it was closed so they decided to head to another bakery in the village (Abu Shalbak). They heard gunshots towards their vehicle coming from the right side and were then surrounded by the soldiers. They confirmed that the soldiers never asked them to stop their vehicle and they continued to fire shots towards the vehicle until Risheq was injured in his head and Salaymeh passed away.

The occupation authorities continue to detain the bodies of 6 Jerusalemite Martyrs part of the collective punishment policy practiced against their families since the first moments of the Martyrdom of their sons. Thaer Abu Ghazaleh and Baha’ Alayan passed away last October, Abdel Muhsen Hassouneh (December)   (22), Mohammad Abu Khalaf (February), Mohammad Jamal Kaloti and Abdullah Saleh Khroub (March). The Martyrs are from the Old City of Jerusalem, Jabal Al-Mukabber, Beit Hanina and Kufor Aqab.

The Israeli Supreme Court issued a decision at the end of July ordering the police and Israeli public prosecution to respond to the court and explain the reasons for not releasing the bodies of Palestinian Martyrs detained in the occupation’s freezers; the court gave them until 15/8/2016 to respond to this decision.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

During July, 931 Israelis broke into the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque during the morning and afternoon break-in sessions which occurred through Dung Gate hat is controlled by the Israeli authorities since the occupation of Jerusalem. Breaking into Al-Aqsa is part of the “foreign tourism” program and takes place under the protection of Israeli police and Special Forces.

In a dangerous precedent, dozens of settlers carried out a memorial ceremony on 12/7/2016 for the deceased Halil Yafa Ariel who was killed two weeks prior to that date in the settlement of Kiryat Arba’ in Hebron. The family of the deceased called for the memorial ceremony to be held at Al-Aqsa Mosque and the chief of Israeli police in the district of Jerusalem personally supervised the ceremony along with other high-rank officers and Special Forces. In order to secure the ceremony, the police imposed restrictions on the entrance of Muslims to Al-Aqsa and detained the IDs of Jerusalem and prevented Palestinians from the 1948 lands from entering for several hours.

Towards the end of July, four settlers broke into Al-Aqsa through Dung Gate as part of the “foreign tourism” project. They carried out a tour into the courtyards and attempted to steal branches of olive trees and soil near the area of Al-Rahmeh Gate resulting into the breakout of altercations between the settlers and worshippers. Al-Aqsa guards interfered in an attempt to protect the sanctity of the Mosque but they were verbally and physically assaulted by the settlers. When the police arrived, they arrested two of Al-Aqsa guards and called several others for interrogation on charges of “assaulting settlers”.

The occupation authorities isolated 30 Jerusalemites from Al-Aqsa Mosque for periods that varied between two weeks and six months. Among those isolated were 7 employees of the Islamic Awqaf department (5 guards, director of public relations and media and an employee of the construction committee), six minors and one elderly.

189 arrests

The occupation authorities continued executing arrets in the city of Jerusalem during July and specifically targeted Silwan and the Old City of Jerusalem.

During July, 189 people from Jerusalem were arrested among them four children under the age of responsibility (12 years), 64 minors, 4 women, one elderly and three Turks.

  The 27th of July, the occupation forces carried out a series of arrests in the neighborhoods of Silwan and arrested 34 Jerusalemites including 12 minors; they were all released without submitting indictments against them.

The forces also carried out a similar operation in the Old City of Jerusalem at the beginning of the months; most of the detainees were released on condition of isolation from Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Among the detainees was Yehya Hijazi (24) who was shot by the occupation forces near Shu’fat refugee camp under the pretext of “possession of a knife and attempting to carry out a stabbing attack”. After arresting him and transferring him to treatment, the police confessed they had shot him by mistake. Hijazi confirmed he was on his way to work when a drug-addict person was threatening locals with a knife and he only interfered in an attempt to take the knife away.

The police also arrested Fares Risheq who was riding with Martyr Anwar Salaymeh. Risheq was injured in his head and was left in the car at the time of the injury without providing him with any treatment. He was then transferred to the borders control vehicle and then into an ambulance.

Individuals from the Musta’ribeen unit (undercover police) injured 15-year old Fadi Essawi with fractures in his arm and nose in addition to several bruises while arresting him in the village of Esawyeh.

Among the detainees were also three Turks that were arrested from Al-Buraq Square in the Old City of Jerusalem. After interrogating them, they were released on condition of deportation from the city of Jerusalem.

The occupation authorities also deported 5 Jerusalemites from the Old City of Jerusalem after arresting and interrogating them; among them were two women and two children.

Demolishing 25 establishments

The occupation authorities increased the demolition operations in Jerusalem which are executed under the pretext of building without permits. During July, 25 establishments were demolishing including 7 residential homes in which 6 are under construction, three residential rooms, three warehouses, two walls, 4 graves, a barracks and 5 commercial stores; one was closed following a decision from the municipality.

The geographical distribution of the demolitions was as follows: Silwan (10), Esawyeh and Jabal Al-Mukabber (4 each), Beit Hanina and Sheikh Jarrah and the Industrial Zone (1 each). Also, four graves were demolished in Al-Rahmeh Gate Cemetery that is adjacent to the eastern wall of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

During July, the occupation authorities displaced the family of Walid Shweiki from the neighborhood of Al-Thori in Silwan after forcing him to self-demolish his house in order to avoid paying a large fine.

The graves were demolished by the Nature and Parks authority using hand tools and under the pretext of building without a permit.