Pictures: For the second day, the occupation authorities continue to close Al-Aqsa and prevent the Call for Prayer
July 15, 2017

The occupation authorities continued to close Al-Aqsa Mosque for the second consecutive day and prevented the Call for Prayer from being held.

Sheikh Omar Kiswani, director of Al-Aqsa Mosque, was able to enter Al-Aqsa Mosque on Friday night under the supervision of an Israeli police officer and occupation forces. He confirmed that the occupation authorities had deployed their forces in the courtyards and imposed a complete closure on Al-Aqsa in addition to searching facilities and messing with the offices and clinics.

Sheikh Abdel Atheem Salhab, head of the Islamic Awqaf department, and Wasef Bakri said during a press conference that the occupation searched the offices of the Islamic Awqaf as well as the manuscript center, the Islamic Museum, judge’s office, offices and clinics.

They explained that the judge’s office and Islamic Museum have historic documents and manuscripts in addition to documents related to the history of Jerusalem from 800 years ago, and other records of the political and economical history of Jerusalem.

Al-Awqaf department explained that three of its employees have been detained in their offices at Al-Aqsa since yesterday.

The occupation also prevented the Call for Prayer from being held at Al-Aqsa Mosque since Friday noon until Saturday night.

In the city of Jerusalem, the occupation authorities closed the gates of the Old City and deployed dozens of soldiers in the streets. Only residents of the Old City are allowed to enter after checking their IDs and confirming their addresses.

The Old City seemed empty, commercial stores were closed since the owners were unable to reach their shops while the occupation forces ordered the merchants of Sultan Suleiman Street to close their stores.

The authorities also prevented public busses and private vehicle from passing in the streets adjacent to the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem.