The martyrdom of a boy, and injury of another…Prayers at Al-Aqsa gates
August 15, 2019

A teenager was martyred and another seriously injured after being shot at Al-Silsileh Gate, one Al-Aqsa Mosque’s gates, after they stabbed a policeman stationed outside the gate.

The Ministry of Health announced the martyrdom of a citizen, and the injury of two others by the Israeli occupation forces in the Old City of Jerusalem, one of them is the stabber and the other is a guard at Al-Aqsa named Emran Rajabi; he was shot in the thigh.

According to local sources, the two boys were Nasim Moukafih Abu Roumi and Hamouda Khader Al-Sheikh from Ezaryeh village. The occupation intelligence summoned both of their fathers for investigation at Al-Zaytoona checkpoint east of Jerusalem.

The Israeli media described the injury of the second person as critical, while some announced his martyrdom. The occupation police reported that the policeman was slightly injured.

Immediately after the shooting, the Israeli occupation forces closed the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque and prevented entry or exit from it.After about two hours, the police reopened some gates and allowed the staff of the Islamic Awqaf department to enter Al-Aqsa, while preventing worshipers under the age of 50 years from entering.

Worshipers performed the Evening and Night prayers at the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque, refusing to be preventedfrom entering the mosque to pray, amid deployment of the occupation forces at the gates and in the streets leading to Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The Israeli occupation forces assaulted worshipers in Bab Hutta area. Omar Mheisen suffered an injury and was transferred for treatment.

The gates of Old City of Jerusalem witnessed tension following the shooting of the two boys. The forces were deployed at all the gates of the city and prevented entry or exit from it. They arrested a young man after assaulting and severely beating him in the area of Damascus Gate.

At the beginning of this week, the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque were transformed into a war zone after hundreds of soldiers and senior officers stormed Al-Aqsa on the first day of Al-Adha Eid. Dozens of Muslims celebrating the holiday were injured with various fractures and wounds, and others were arrested. In the meantime, hundreds of settlers stormed Al-Aqsa to commemorate the so-called "Destruction of the Temple" by a decision of the Prime Minister of the occupation. On Thursday, the Israeli Minister of Agriculture, Uri Ariel, and dozens of settlers stormed Al-Aqsa.

The Minister of Internal Security, Gilad Ardan, said that the status quo in Al-Aqsa Mosque must be changed so that Jews can pray there. He said they have the right to pray there as individuals, or collectively, in an open place or a closed place, i.e. inside the chapels of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Arrests and expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque

The Israeli police banned the Jerusalemite activist, Awad Salaymeh, and Areen Za’aneen, Ahmed Shawish and Munir Basti from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque.

On Thursday afternoon, Israeli forces also arrested the girl Batoul Khalaf.

Violent clashes

Following the summoning of the parents of the two boys, Sheikh and Abu Roumi, violent clashes broke out in the village of Abu Dis. Youths threw Molotov Cocktails and firecrackers towards the military zone in the area.

The young men blocked the streets leading to the boys' houses with rubber tires and stones, to prevent the forces from storming them.