On Friday…Settlers burn a mosque in Sharafat…storming Al-Aqsa at dawn…new expulsion orders
January 24, 2020


Settlers set Al-Badriyah mosque in the village of Sharafat, southwest of Jerusalem, on fire and wrote racist slogans on one of its outer walls, while the occupation forces stormed Al-Aqsa after the Dawn Prayers and attacked the worshipers and evicted its courtyards. Before the Friday Noon Prayer, Sheikh Ekrema Sabri, head of the Islamic Supreme Commission, broke his expulsion order from Al-Aqsa by entering it and performing the Friday prayer, coinciding with issuing several expulsion orders against young men.

Al-Badriyah Mosque

Settlers set fire Al-Badriyah Mosque on fire and wrote the slogan, "You destroyed for the Jews, we will destroy the enemies."

Mukhtar of the village of Sharafat, Ismail Awad, was surprised when he arrived at the mosque before the dawn call to prayer.As usual, he tried to light the entrance, but he was unable to do so and upon entering the mosque, the fire was burning at the pulpit, so he quickly turned off the automatic electric switch.

Awad added: "At first glance I thought that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault, and then it turned out that there were burning materials that were poured on the carpets in lines and a container containing those materials."

He explained that he managed to extinguish the fire himself within 15 minutes, before informing the worshipers and the police which came to the place and closed the mosque and prevented the residents from entering it for more than 3 hours on the pretext of "photographing and investigating the incident."

Several places in the carpet were burnt along with a Qur’an and a book of the Prophet’s Sunnah, and the microphone of the mosque.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

The occupation forces assaulted worshipers after the end of the Dawn Prayer in Al-Aqsa, using rubber bullets to disperse them and prevent them from walking in the courtyard of the Dome of the Rock Mosque, and also forced the worshipers out of its courtyards.

Wadi Hilweh Information Center explained that the occupation forces also chased worshipers at Bab Hutta, and prevented their presence in the place, as they drove them away from the mosque from the vicinity of Bab Hutta.

The occupation forces detained the young men who took the initiative to distribute hot drinks and light food to the worshippers at Al-Aqsa. After detaining them and checking their identities for more than two hours, the forces called the occupation municipality's staff, who in turn confiscated the materials in their possession and issued them fines worth NIS 750 each.

The occupation forces arrested Murad Misk and another young man.

The occupation authorities issued expulsion orders against the following:

• Ahmed Abu Ghazaleh, 4 months.

•Moath Ashhab, deportation from the Old City of Jerusalem for two weeks, "renewable".

• Tamer Khalfawi; two weeks from Al-Aqsa

• Hanadi Al-Halawani;deportation from the Old City for two days

• Ahmad Al-Julani; two weeks expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque

•Journalist Abdul Karim Darwish; 10 days expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque

• Journalist Amjad Arafa, 10 days expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque

• Qutaiba Abu Shakra;one week expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque, "renewable."

• Hassan Abu Shakra; one week expulsion from Al-Aqsa Mosque, "renewable."

• Mohammed Al-Alami; deportation from the Old City for 15 days

Sheikh Ekrema Sabri was able to enter Al-Aqsa Mosque and perform the Friday prayers, knowing that the occupation authorities handed him a decision to expel him from Al-Aqsa, which ends "Saturday" and he has to come to investigation afterwards to consider the possibility of renewing the expulsion order.