Assault and suppression…the martyrdom of journalist Shireen Abu Akleh
May 11, 2022

On Wednesday morning, the Jerusalemite journalist, Shireen Abu Akleh, was martyred, after she was targeted and shot while covering the storming of the Jenin refugee camp by the occupation forces.

A sniper from the occupation forces targeted journalist Shireen Abu Akleh, and dozens of bullets were fired at a group of journalists who were present on the outskirts of Jenin refugee camp, all of whom were wearing journalistic clothing “helmets and protective vests”, and despite that, bullets were directly fired at them. The first bullet hit journalist Ali Smoudi, Shireen shouted “Ali is hit”, and it was only a matter of moments, and she got hit too.

Journalist Shatha Hantasha was accompanied by the journalists and witnessed what happened. She said: “The bullets were fired at us extensively. We were in an open area in front of the soldiers. I managed to hide behind a tree. Sherine also tried to hide, but the bullet targeted her and she fell to the ground. I tried to help but bullets were fired directly at us. A young man tried to help us and hardly managed to pull Shireen because of the bullets. This story was documented by journalists' cameras.

A statement by Al Jazeera Media Network said: "In a tragic murder that violates international laws and norms, the Israeli occupation forces, in cold blood, assassinated our reporter, Shireen Abu Akleh."

The network condemned "this heinous crime, through which it is intended to prevent the media from fulfilling its message," and added, "We hold the Israeli government and the occupation forces responsible for the killing of the late colleague Shireen."

Al Jazeera Media Network called on the international community to condemn and hold the Israeli occupation forces accountable for their deliberate targeting and killing of colleague Shireen Abu Akleh.

Immediately after the announcement of the martyrdom of Shireen Abu Akleh, dozens of people went to her house in Beit Hanina, raised Palestinian flags and chanted for the journalist and Jerusalem and demanded the killers be held accountable. The forces stormed the martyr's house and demanded not to raise the flags, not to play patriotic songs, and not to gather in the street in front of the house, then quickly withdrew in front of the crowds chanting for Shireen.

In the afternoon hours, the forces suppressed a march that marched in Beit Hanina towards the martyr's house, and assaulted the participants by beating, arresting and pushing them.

The Red Crescent said that its crews dealt with 5 injuries in Beit Hanina, one injury was transferred to the hospital, and among the injured was a paramedic who was targeted while providing treatment to the injured.

The lawyersof Wadi Hilweh Information Center, Mohammad Mahmoud and Firas Al-Jabrini, said that the forces arrested 11 Palestinians from the town of Beit Hanina, during the crackdown and pursuit, some of whom were transferred to the "Nabi Yaqoub" investigation center, while others were transferred to Al-Maskobyeh center, and some were transferred to cells.

Among the detainees were Yehya Idris, Tamer Idris, Youssef Mujahed, Mohammad Abu Gharbyeh, Mohammad Shweiki, Amjad Dweik and Omar Khalfawi.