Religious officials: Entering Al-Aqsa Mosque after checking the situation inside it…removing metal detectors and preparing to install camera…clashes and arrests
July 25, 2017

The occupation forces removed on Tuesday early morning the metal detectors that were placed at the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque while the religious officials in the city of Jerusalem confirmed that entering Al-Aqsa Mosque will be after checking the situation inside it through specialized committees.

Removing metal detectors

The occupation authorities removed the metal detectors they have placed at Lions, Al-Majles, Al-Silsileh and Al-Hadeed Gates while keeping the metal paths near Al-Silsileh and Lions gates; the beams that were installed at Lions Gate remained.

Large bulldozers swept several trees and soil in the area of Lions Gate and also removed big rocks from the area.

The occupation authorities mounted metal beams at all of Al-Aqsa gates except for Hutta gate. Those beams will be used to mount smart cameras on them.

Injuries and arrests

The Palestinian Red Crescent explained that 16 Jerusalemites were injured after the occupation forces suppressed young men in the areas of Wad Al-Joz and Lions Gate; six injuries were transferred to the hospital.

Occupation forces also attacked the Red Crescent ambulance upon arrival at Al-Sowaneh in Jerusalem and arrested one of the injured from inside the vehicle.

In the area of Lions Gate, the forces arrested Yaser Hadreh after assaulting and severely beating him; he was wounded in his face.

Occupation forces also suppressed dozens of young men that headed to the area of Lions Gate in Jerusalem after receiving news about bulldozers and engineers raiding the area. The forces heavily fired sound grenades and rubber bullets towards the young men and chased them to the area of Wad Al-Joz, Al-Sowaneh and Ras Al-Amoud. Despite that, young men gathered and performed the Prayer in the street after being prevented from praying in Lions Gate Main Street.

Religious officials

Religious officials represented by the head of Islamic Awqaf department, head of Supreme Islamic Commission, the Mufti of Jerusalem and Palestinian lands as well as the acting judge held a meeting on Tuesday morning at the Legislative Court headquarters in Jerusalem and issued a statement in which they confirmed their complete refusal to what the occupation authorities has done since the 14th of July until this day.

Religious officials stressed on the importance of opening all of Al-Aqsa gates for all worshippers without exceptions and with complete freedom. They added that entering Al-Aqsa Mosque will be after the technical committees submit their reports in which they will monitor what happened inside and outside of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

In their statement which was recited by the head of the Islamic Awqaf department, Sheikh Abdel Atheem Salhab, they explained that they assigned the Islamic Awqaf directorate in Jerusalem to file an initial report regarding the situation of Al-Aqsa Mosque to identify the assaults inside and outside Al-Aqsa.

The statement said: “We stress the unity of our people in of Jerusalem and Palestine and uphold our rights, and we appreciate the people's stand and their encirclement around the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque. We mourn our martyrs who ascended in defense of the blessed Aqsa Mosque and we wish speedy recovery to the wounded and quick release of prisoners.”