Print

The Al-Bustan neighborhood faces threats, including the demolition of structures and walls, arrests, and assaults. Judicial intervention has temporarily halted these operations
February 10, 2026

This Tuesday morning, the Al-Bustan neighborhood in Silwan experienced a widespread campaign by the Israeli municipality, which involved demolishing walls, commercial buildings, homes, and sheds to create public parks and parking spaces for settlers. The operation was accompanied by threats to residents and arrests. However, a legal team intervened, leading to a court order from the Jerusalem District Court that stopped the demolitions immediately.

The Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Jerusalem documented the following demolitions:

• Mohammad Abd Odeh: Demolition of a brick factory, bulldozing of the land, demolition of walls, and destruction of merchandise.

• Kazem Abu Shafe': Demolition of walls and parking areas.

• Abd Al-Karim Abu Sneineh: Demolition of walls and the entrance to his land, and bulldozing of the land.

• Odeh family: Demolition of walls and bulldozing of the land.

• Qutaiba Abu Sneineh: Demolition of the walls of his house.

• Nader Odeh: Demolition of a parking area.

• Shehada Qara'een: Demolition of walls and the entrance to his house, and forcing him to remove a caravan.

Current legal proceedings have temporarily halted the demolitions, but the danger has not yet subsided

Omar Samri, a lawyer for the Al-Bustan neighborhood, said: “Today, the occupation municipality tried to issue unjustified demolition orders for buildings and walls in the Al-Bustan area. These orders were both arbitrary and illegal, and residents were only given a very brief notice, just 10 to 20 minutes, to respond."

Our legal team promptly took legal action by filing a court action and submitting an administrative appeal to the District Court regarding these decisions. The court granted a temporary injunction to prevent the demolition orders.

However, the municipality was dissatisfied with this decision and chose not to comply. They appealed once more to the District Court to try to bypass the ruling. Later, we secured another injunction that required the municipality to stop all demolition orders in the Al-Bustan neighborhood.

During today’s demolitions, the municipality bypassed the Planning and Building Law by demolishing structures under bylaws without a trial and without allowing residents to respond or appeal these decisions in court.

Demolition of commercial structures and fences

• Mohammad Abd Odeh – Brick Factory Owner

The brick factory was demolished, the land was bulldozed, fences were torn down, and all merchandise was destroyed. Now, nothing is left—neither the merchandise nor the shop. This factory had been standing on land we inherited from our ancestors for 40 years. Today, it was demolished without any warning. We must clear the site within 12 hours as per municipal orders, or face fines. My losses amount to over 200,000 shekels, and 10 people rely on the factory for their income.

• Ahmad Odeh – Garage and Roof

Our family garage, owned for centuries and covering over a dunam, was demolished with its roof. Though they assert that the court issued demolition orders, this turned out to be false.

• Qutaiba Abu Sneineh

My house walls were torn down, the land was invaded, and we faced threats. The municipality workers asked us to move the cars, but we declined because the land is private property. With the help of lawyers, we managed to halt some of the plan, but the demolition was unplanned and illegal. During the eviction, we were also subjected to gas spraying and assault.

• Shehada Qara’een

The occupation authorities tore down walls to gain entry to homes. On our land, a caravan stood without any official removal or demolition order. Nonetheless, the municipality workers pressed for its removal. After a prolonged dispute, the family was told to vacate it by the evening, facing the threat of daily fines, which ultimately compelled them to comply.

Qara’een added that the walls had been within established boundaries for decades without any demolition orders, which made this attack unnatural. The operation was essentially a race against time to carry out the demolition, whether it involved a tent or a car. The officer in charge ordered a parked car to be moved, and the occupation municipality removed all other cars from the site.

Fakhri Abu Diab – The plan to control the neighborhood and empty Jerusalem

Today's demolition was unprecedented, targeting residents’ displacement and exerting control. Walls were torn down to allow bulldozers access and to intimidate residents psychologically. This aligns with the occupation's strategy in Jerusalem to frighten citizens, displace communities, assert sovereignty and control, and alter the city’s demographic makeup.

The forces and municipal crews provided residents with 20 minutes to evacuate the areas marked for demolition or to leave. We then appealed to the court, which temporarily suspended the order because residents were given such short notice.

He explained that the Al-Bustan neighborhood is divided into three sections: an area with previously demolished houses, land confiscated for parking, and a larger zone for parks and public gardens. The municipality is executing its plan in this neighborhood.

Abu Diab mentioned that the forces stormed his house to carry out a demolition, but this was halted when the operation was frozen. The municipality later issued him a financial violation citing the presence of “birds” at the site and demanded he remove them by next Sunday; otherwise, they would confiscate the birds and impose a fine.

Injuries and arrests

Firas al-Jabrini, a lawyer at the Wadi Hilweh Information Center, reported: "The forces detained two young men, Yazan Odeh and Yasser Dweik, but released them after a few hours." He mentioned that Yazan Odeh had multiple injuries and bruises and was taken from the police station on Salah al-Din Street to Hadassah Hospital for treatment. Subsequently, he was released, with his hand in a cast and a stitched head wound.

A campaign in Silwan

Two days ago, the occupation authorities launched a widespread campaign named "Shield of the Capital." Police forces and several institutions, such as the Tax Authority, Enforcement and Collection Authority, Veterinary Department, and Poultry Council, participated in this operation. The campaign involved:

Fines totaling 800,000 shekels were issued for "possessing and selling counterfeit goods." Additionally, two vehicles were confiscated to settle tax debts, and municipal fines and penalties amounting to 33,475 shekels were imposed, along with 20 traffic violations.

Continued raids in Silwan

Silwan has experienced ongoing incursions for several weeks, including widespread distribution of final demolition orders for homes, particularly in the Al-Bustan neighborhood. There have also been eviction orders issued in favor of settlers in Batn Al-Hawa, along with a campaign of summonses, arrests, and delivery of orders to dozens of young men and women connected to Al-Aqsa.