Day 84: Jerusalem during “Al-Aqsa Flood” Operation
December 29, 2023

On the 84th day of “Al-Aqsa Flood Operation”, the occupation forces suppressed worshipers in the streets of Jerusalem after imposing restrictions on their entry into Al-Aqsa Mosque. The forces stormed the home of the family of the martyr Ahmed Alayan in Jabal Al-Mukabber, and continued the raids into towns and neighborhoods in the city of Jerusalem.

The Wadi Hilweh Information Center - Jerusalem explained that the occupation forces prevented thousands of worshipers from reaching Al-Aqsa Mosque to perform Friday prayers, in a procedure followed for the 13th consecutive Friday “since the war on the Gaza Strip.”

The center added that the forces set up checkpoints in the streets of the city of Jerusalem, especially “Wadi al-Joz neighborhood, Ras al-Amoud, and Lions Gate,” and stopped those arriving to Al-Aqsa Mosque. During this, identities were checked, a body search was conducted, young men were forced to stand against the walls, and a field investigation was conducted for many young men. After that, they were prevented from continuing their walk towards Al-Aqsa, in addition to being chased in the streets to prevent them from praying in the streets “at the closest point they were able to reach.”

In the Wadi al-Joz neighborhood, the forces heavily fired gas bombs and sprayed wastewater toward homes, vehicles, and streets, to prevent prayer in the streets.

In the Ras al-Amoud neighborhood, the forces imposed restrictions on prayer in the place, and assaulted a number of worshipers and forced them to pray on the sidewalks only.

At the gates of the Old City, worshipers were attacked and pushed after preventing them from entering Al-Aqsa.

The center quoted the worshipers who tried to enter Al-Aqsa: “We are prevented from entering under the pretext of “trying to cause problems in Al-Aqsa.” There are no specific ages announced for those allowed to enter the mosque. A 75-year-old man can be prevented from entering. For 3 months, the ban continues and the siege on Al-Aqsa continues. The repression continues at the gates of Al-Aqsa and in the streets of Jerusalem, not only on Fridays, but every time we try to reach Al-Aqsa.”

The center also reported from inside Al-Aqsa from those who were able to pray there: “Forces are deployed in Al-Aqsa’s squares and stationed at the Dung Gate “as every Friday since the war.” There are no worshipers in Al-Aqsa like on Fridays “before the war.” Very small numbers are allowed to enter and pass through the checkpoints set up across the roads leading to Al-Aqsa and at its gates. Al-Aqsa prayer halls and squares are almost empty, inspection procedures and questions before worshipers are allowed to enter Al-Aqsa.”

The Islamic Endowments Department explained that 12,000 worshipers performed Friday prayers in Al-Aqsa Mosque.

Martyr Ahmed Alayan

At dawn Friday, the police released the father and sister of the martyr Ahmed Alayan, and extended the detention of his brother Mohammad for a week to complete the investigation, and transferred him to the cells.

The forces arrested them after storming the house yesterday evening.

On Friday, the forces also stormed the martyr’s house and its surroundings several times, and prevented the family from holding a funeral home for him, and demanded that no more than 9 people be present in the place.

The Wadi Hilweh Information Center explained that the forces carried out a massive sabotage operation in the family home of the martyr Alayan, including furniture, electrical and electronic appliances, breaking windows, mirrors and glass, searching closets, and tearing up family photos.

The martyr Alayan finished high school with a very good grade and was enrolled at the University of Bethlehem “for one year.” He is an athlete. He was a player in several sports clubs: Jabal Al-Mukabber, Silwan, Oqbat Jabr, Al-Sawahreh, and most recently in Beit Safafa Club.

The occupation forces conducted several arrests from the city of Jerusalem, including a Jerusalemite woman.