Occupation Special Forces raid Al-Aqsa Mosque, injure and arrest worshippers
June 26, 2016

The occupation forces injured a group of worshippers who were staying at Al-Aqsa Mosque and arrested some of them after raiding the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque and randomly firing sound grenades and rubber bullets towards the worshippers.

The Palestinians Red Crescent explained that five injuries were transferred from Al-Aqsa Mosque to Al-Maqased hospital; they were injured by rubber bullets and sound grenades and one was injured after being hit by a baton.

Sheikh Omar Kiswani, director of Al-Aqsa Mosque, explained that 12 people were injured by rubber bullets (young men and elderly). Among the injuries were three in the head and the rest were in the limbs and back.

Palestinian Red Crescent The Palestinian Red Crescent staff explained they had transferred 7 injuries to the hospital for treatment; 3 injuries by rubber bullets, 2 injuries in the head from beating and 2 injuries by shrapnel of sound grenades. The staff added they provided treatment for 17 other cases inside the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque

On Sunday, 20 settlers broke into the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque under heavy protection by Special Forces.

Wadi Hilweh Information Center was informed that the occupation Special Forces raided Al-Aqsa Mosque to secure the settlers’ break-in concurrently with the presence of dozens of Muslim worshippers in the courtyards and inside Al-Qibali Mosque. It is known that he police usually close Dung Gate during the last ten days of Ramadan (when Muslims stay and sleep in Al-Aqsa) but the police insisted on keeping Dung Gate open this year to allow settlers to break into the courtyards of Al-Aqsa Mosque which provoked the feelings of Muslim worshippers at Al-Aqsa. The Islamic Awqaf department asked the police not to open Dung Gate but they refused and allowed settlers to break into the Mosque through this gate.

Witnesses explained that Special Forces raided Al-Aqsa and were deployed in the courtyards. They assaulted the worshippers with batons, sound grenades and fired rubber bullets inside Al-Qibali Mosque; dozens of Muslims from South Africa were staying at Al-Aqsa.

The forces arrested four people from inside Al-Aqsa mostly men from South Africa.